Stimulate circulation and increase range of motion
Promote performance, reduce injuries and more
Sports massage is focused on correcting your unique physical issues. Sports massage is for everyone. Whether you're a professional or an amateur athlete, or a non-athlete with chronic injuries, muscle tension or reduced range of motion, sports massage can help you.
Sports massage is a type of Swedish massage. It stimulates circulation of blood and lymph fluids, stretching the muscle tissue. I also use trigger points while doing sports massage to help break down knots in the muscles, and this will increase range of motion. It generally concentrates on a specific problem area.
Sports massage has many benefits:
- Reduces pain, soreness and tightness
- Helps recovering from a sports activity
- Improves flexibility and range of motion
- Helps preventing injuries
- Reduces recovery time
- Provides relief from chronic issues and conditions
- Reduces the blood pressure and heart rate
- Increases blood circulation and lymph flow
- Promotes better athletic performance
For athletes there are four main types of sports massage:
- Pre-event sports massage - a stimulating, short massage given 15 - 45 minutes before the event, directed towards the part of the body that will be involved in the activity. Helps to promote better performance.
- Post-event sports massage - a relaxing massage given within an hour or two of the event, to normalise the body's tissues and relax the body.
- Restorative sports massage - given during training, to prevent injuries and allow the athlete to train harder.
- Rehabilitative sports massage to reduce pain caused by an injury.
Every session of sports massage is customised to fit your unique needs.